Tranny Main Shaft Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Main Shaft Removal

Hi guys. I've got a 56 pan 4-speed (kick only) tranny that is in need of some work. I've been trying to remove the main shaft from tranny with-out much luck. Clymers book says to knock the shaft out towards the kicker side a bit and remove the spring clip that holds 3rd gear in place. Then continue driving it out the rest of the way. It shows the bearing and race coming out together. Well the bearing popped out but the race won't budge. So I can't get the main shaft cluster out of the tranny. Anyone got any suggestions?-Steve

Steve, A little heat works wonders on this job. It helps to have the bearing back in the cup to keep it cooler as you warm up the case with a propane torch. If you quickly warm up the trans case in the area around the bearing, it will generally pop right out. Heat the case from the outside as much as possible, you will have to warm the area towards the front of the trans from the inside, try to point the heat away from the bearing and cup.

Comment

Thanks "koanes" heated it up last night and just like ya said it came right out. Thats the reason I always get help before beating things up. I live by the rule. "Never use a hammer on a Harley." Thanks again -Steve

Comment

Working...
      X