JD rear hub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD rear hub question

I'm working on a 26 JD. On the rear hub, is the roller bearing sleeve supposed to be keyed to the axle? There is a keyway in the sleeve, but on my unit the pin appears to be sheared- it is not real obvious on the axle, but I think I can see sings of the pin.

There are two pins that located steel thrust washers to the hub, and they were also sheared off. I've got them out and have temporarily used spring pins to check things out.

Are htese sheared pins a common issue?

Also, I found the hub had been reasembled without one of the bakelite thrust washers. What makes a good substitute for bakelite? Brass, Nylon or ??

Any chance the races in the hub are replaceable?

Thanks!

JD hub

DanM, Mark Masa at Link Cycle has the fibre washers available along with the brass end-play washers and felts in kit form.

As for the races I believe they are integral to the hub and most I have seen are pitted. I do not have a solution for you on that issue.

What would shear the pins is anyones guess. There is one on the axle itself that keys the inner race to the axle and then two others in the body of the hub itself that hold the thrust washers so that they will rotate with the hub.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
    X