Exhaust for 77 Low Rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for 77 Low Rider

I need to call on all of you experts out there! I'm wondering if a stock exhaust for a 79 Harley FXS Low Rider will fit on a 77 FXS. I have a 77 I'm working on and found a 79 but I'm told the Harley stock numbers are off by one digit. Not sure if it will work or not. Anybody know the difference? (it's 2 into 1 with a slash cut collector)
    Thanks

What is with this modern stuff? Go ask an after market dealer.

Comment

Wouild be a good question for the troublehead...er I mean Shovelhead forum.........

Louie

Comment

I believe the system will fit. IIRC, the difference was in the muffler. I could have a look in my books.
        VPH-D

Comment

Thanks for your response. Any help is most definitely appreciated.

Comment

There were some changes in the Shovelheads in 1977 1/2. I think the H-D Manuals go 1966--1977 and 1977 1/2--84. The ealy FX bikes used FL frames and one of the 77 1/2 changes was in the frame so that may be a problem.

Comment

I've got a buddy that has a '79 FL and he says that it's a real odd ball. I know this doesn't help much, but I think I'd check things out as best I could before I decided........

Comment

My '82 FX parts book lists the 2 into 1 muffler the same between 77 and 79 but the header pipes have different numbers. 77 had a smaller air cleaner than 78/79 and I suspect the header pipes are shaped slightly differently or have a couple extra dents pressed in to clear the air cleaner. I think it will bolt up and work ... Perry

Comment

77 Exhaust

Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like I'd be better off trying to find a set that came off a '77. I appreciate all of your help.

Comment

ebay4604207627

exhuast on ebay now ,not sure if its what you need

Comment

The 77 FXS had the 31.5 degree neck, and all the frame nerds, as did the 80- 84? FXWG. Starting in 77, the single tank FXE had the FLH style rear brake pedal mount chopped off. I never understood this move, as it added more time to the manufacturing process.

All 77s and early 78s had the -66 style air cleaner. The larger 78 1/2 air cleaner was added to cut down air intake noise- har har!
                      VPH-D

Comment

Working...
                      X