Ride them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride them

This morning I took my 1940 Chief out for a long, traffic intense ride to see what needs attention. Needing gas, I pulled into the first station I came upon and immediately attracted the attention of a well dressed older gent. Usually this means listening to a gabby old B.S. artist but this guy knew his stuff. He knew what he was looking at and informed me he had owned a 1948 Chief that he bought new. He had been in the Navy and on 2 occasions rode the Chief from San Diego to Boston. We talked for awhile longer but before he left he put his hand on the shifter and got that far away look. Once again a motorcycle has made the world a better place to live in.

Right on Eric! That's the kind of stuff that just makes a guy grin.........

Comment

That's priceless Eric! If you ride 'em, sooner or later something like this is bound to happen. Some times I dread stopping for gas because of all the jerks and BS'ers you meet. This fall I had stopped for gas with my original paint 29' and had a beautiful young lady (mid 20's) come up to me and ask me "what year is the old chief"? I was astounded by the fact that someone of her age knew that it was a Indian instead of a Harley. I told her that I was flattered and ask how she knew what it was. She said that her grandfather had corted her grandmother on one and she recognised the bike from the old pictures. After explaining to her that most people think it's a Harley, it was refreshing to have someone like her around. It was about that time that a middle aged guy walk up and ask...."what year is the old Harley"..........

Ride 'em don't hide'em

TR

Comment

Nice story indeed! Im sure most of us have had something like this happen! Its nice though when its a younger person that knows what they are,i also hate it when someone says nice Harley! unless of course Im on one of my Harleys!!

Comment

The "sign" on the roof of my shop (filled with bird's nests) is concocted of everything from vacuum sweeper parts to a propane bottle (such as a clock for a headlamp), with a wide variety of dumpster-scrounged motorcycle parts hastily strung together to support them.

Nonetheless, it is quite normal for a passer-by to walk in and ask what year Indian it is.

I count it as a blessing.

...Cotten

Comment

Ever since one of my bikes was stolen, I am a bit apprehensive about talking to a stranger about my bikes. Yes, I did get it back (after nine years) but one never knows when you are being checked over for a possable hit. I can tell alot about a person by how they approch me and my bike. Usually it's some middle aged, arrogant yuppie with questions like "how much is it worth" and "wher do you live". But when it's an older gentelman or lady and they have that look, I open up and listen to what they have to say. Usually it's priceless. But if I don't like the guy and he ask's "what year is it"? My reply........2006.

Ride safe, ride often

TR

Comment

I kinda like the 2006 retort! that must set them back abit! As for yuppies I just talk to them,,Im glad when I was young someone treated me ok, Ill show respect until provoked and would never give out my addy to anyone new or old,I have said give me your address and I contact you but thats about as far as it goes.
              I was at a muesuem meet one year and met an old couple very nasty and rough he happened to see a 46 chief i was ridding and I had a 46 plate on it he ask if I had other plates maybe one for sale i really didnt like his whole attitude but he keep insisting he wanted to come to my place blah blah blah,long stroy short I got HIS # and called and went,what a find plenty of NICE INDIANS some with original paint and lots of neat other stuff! I gave him the plate he was looking for and we have been friends to this day and he has helped me with many parts Ive needed! Dont always judge a book by its cover if I had that day,well I wouldnt have the friend I do now!

Comment

I agree with you to a point. Lose a bike and then tell me you feel the same way. Yes, perhaps I'm a bit parinoid and by being this way I have closed a few doors. But the I'll never know if I've saved myself some potential probles eather. How would you feel if you came out of the gas staition and saw some one on your bike?? Or have some one follow you home?? This has happened to me and I can say that I don't like it. But then I have had people wait for me to come out (at a respectable distance) and ask if they could talk to me. Or the elderly lady who chewed me out for riding a Indian vs a Harley like she use to back in the late 40's. THAT'S PRICELESS!! I guess that if someone shows me a little respect, I'll show them some in return. I hope everyone experiances what Eric just did. That is what makes these ol' bikes great. Good luck!

TR

Comment

All I can tell you is some 37 years ago my pride and joy was stolen right at my house ! Did I like it? Not one bit! Did I stop living ..Never would give in...I guess if someonr wants your MC BAD enough they will get it but this time I have a few surprises in store,sorry if you missed what I was saying I cautious but not to the point of paraniod !!!! Many people have been where youve been if I saw someone on my bike coming out of a store there better be a good reason ,lead poisioning is for life in these parts of the woods!
                  eric I still like your story!!!

Comment

Here here my friend, I agree with you totaly! I guess we all have to take the good with the bad. Hopefully more good than bad.

Ride safe, ride often.

TR

Comment

Only problem I see that the both of us have is snow and ice right now! So in a few months Ill take your advice and ride!!!! Of course with a smile on my face! For now its icefishing! Maybe a little oval ice racing on the lAKE!

Comment

Hey Inline, if you've got a servi-car that's always an option.......

Comment

A dispatch-tow would be really cool!!! I'm wishing I had a three-wheeler right now!

Comment

That would be great! just need a set of chain. !!
                            Up by the Canadian Boarder there is a town called Limestone Maine and there used to be a Henderson Dealer there and Ive seen pictures of 4cylinder hendersons with skis going over the potatoes fields to Canada in the middle of winter ! The fellow had some REAL NICE parts and two complete MCs,I missed them some guy from NY snuck in the backdoor ohhh well!

Comment

Hmmmm...... Henderson's with skis.... Cool!!!! I'd like to see those pictures! Another fun one would be the Scout powered tobbagons..... I think you need a straight path though, as I've heard they didn't steer the best!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X