Indian model no chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian model no chart

Some may find this Indian model no chart interesting?

http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/resources/serials.htm

The lists shows 1949 Chiefs ??? Never seen one of them ??? I would like to hear other opinions.

Louie

Comment

It is a good chart. I appreciate the online resourse. Any help that you give Greg with documented proof I'm certain he'd be thankful for.

Comment

I know a fellow who has a 1949 Chief ! It's still in the crate and he got it at a yard sale in his neighborhood. His brother has a 1910 Harley that he often rides to the 7-11 for cigarettes. He also has a motorhome that was part of the Queen's fleet. He is the most unflappable pathological liar I have ever met, but he is by far the most entertaining liar I have ever met.

Comment

Ya, and his brother's 1910 Harley is probably a twin!
          No other comments about the 1949 Chief's? Where are all you diehard Indian fans?

Louie

Comment

49 Chiefs

Well...according to J. Hatfield "Illustrated Indian Buyers Guide"
            in 1949 some 50 to 100 Chiefs were built but they were designated as 1950 models. (Page 83)

Also says they had footshift/hand clutch & telescopic forks.

Comment

Harley and Indian always introduced new models in the previous year, generally September. As for a 1949 Indian Chief, there are profound differences between a '48 and '50 Chief with no transition model between them. If there was a documented '49 Chief it would have looked exactly like a 1948 model, or a 1950 model, or to be more precise, it would have been a '48 or '50 Chief. There was a lot going on at Indian in 1949 and unfortunately most of it was political and financial as well as Roger's commitment to the veritcals. Add to this Harley's second salvo against Indian. . . . The mighty Panhead, and then the 1949 Hydra Glide, and the British invasion, and Indian dealer discord, and on and on and on. All of this had to be quite un-nerving for Indian but you have to hand it to them, the 1950 Chief was a heroic effort and a remarkable motorcycle considering what they were up against.

Personally, I think the missing '49 Chief just adds to the Indian mysitque.

Comment

Working...
              X