'59 neutral lite tank shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 neutral lite tank shift

Happy Holidays to all...I'm getting closer to tearing my 59 FLH down (finally finished my heated garage/workshop project as my xmas present to myself) and am working out the foot to tank shift conversion. I did locate the correct 59 tanks (not easy) but am working on the other parts and have found a correct tranny lid for the hand shift, but have been told that these do not work with the neutral light on the dash, but that a 65 and up might. Does any of this make sense, and if anyone has any insights into this issue I'd love to hear them. Also, what should I expect to pay for the correct tranny lid in decent shape, as a price hasn't been worked out yet. I am leaning on using the correct lid, light be damned, unless anyone has any bright (no pun intended) ideas.

If the neutral light won't work it's not a big deal, but it was a nice feature when it came out and if it would work that would be kind of neat. I've also noticed that the clutch rocker pedals I've seen for sale all seem to be the 36811-65 "65" part number. Will this work on my '59, and what is the difference in the earlier one to this one? Palmer kind of mentions it briefly, but not in much detail and I'm not sure what I might need to use to use this lever.

Thanks for any help...have a great New Year!

Joel

I am not sure, but it makes sense that the neutral light was only used on Foot Clutch models from '65 or so and up when the shifter mounted to the frame. Why would you need a neutral light with a Tank mounted shifter when it is just as easy to look at the shifter as a light. I would guess the neutral light was a by-product of foot shifting?

Comment

Indeed 59-64 hand shift bikes didn't use a neutral light. They even used a special two light variant of the "three light dash" in 62-64. Hand shift finally got a neutral light along with electric start in 65. The 65 and up hand shift tranny lids have a threaded hole to mount the switch and internally use the -36A shifter gear with the notch to activate the switch.

In terms of clutch pedal - the 65 and up pedal don't have the rod mount pin riveted on. There wasn't clearance for the clutch rod to run down to it with the aluminum primaries (recall how close the rod runs with the tin primary) so the clutch rod is attached to a lever affixed to the pedal shaft. It should not be a problem to simply rivet a replacement pin onto the -65 pedal (dealers like Old Dude sell the pin) ... Perry

Comment

my 59 has an always has had a neutral light, it's a little up and a little to thee right of the other two lights,
        dave

Comment

Thanks for the help...keep it coming! My interest in the neutral light being functional is simply a by-product of not wanting to get another dash (mine is original after all) and liking the jeweled light...certainly not to find neutral, especially on the Pan with a lettered shift gate! I have a 48 chief and finding neutral is not a problem. It seems like it would be kind of nice if it lit up...haha.

The rocker pedal info is great...does the 65 and up pedal fit on the original mounting bracket? It seems that the only changes in this assemly in 65 were the rocker and a bushing maybe?

Thanks for the help all...you guys are great!
          Best regards,
          Joel

Comment

My 59 FLH foot-shift model has a neutral light on the dash, though a buddy of mine decided to polish the dash one day, and the lens disappeared into space. Haven't replaced it, yet, as the whole bike needs a resto.

Jack

Comment

The mounting bracket is unchanged so the -65 pedal will fit just fine ... Perry

Comment

Perry- thanks for the info. I assume that the pre-65 pedal and bracket will work with the newer lid, but does my current tranny have the shifter gear with the notch already, since it's a foot shift now with a neutral light? I'm wavering between keeping it stock (and no light) or going with the newer lid and keeping the jewel! Decisions, decisions! All my bikes are riders, but I do prefer them cmore stock than not-but I assume that tank shift models had a dash with no jewel at all....more stuff to find...ugh! Thanks for all of your great help...keep it coming!

Best regards,
                Joel

Comment

The shifter gear with the notch (actually a bump up) to press the neutral switch should be considered part of any complete tranny lid. Your current foot shift lid will have it and any complete hand shift lid you buy with the neutral light boss should have been assembled with it. If a later lid was assembled from a collection of parts and an earlier gear was used the light would never go out.

Indeed the upper dash had no jewel on the hand shift bikes. Your existing dash base will work fine ... Perry

Comment

Working...
                  X