4 Speed Trannys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Speed Trannys

I SAW A FOUR SPEED TRANSMISSION THIS WEEK AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE RUN ONE AND HOW YOU LIKE IT,IHAVE A 1950 CHIEF I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING IT IN,THANKS!

I got one for a friend of mine, Dave Grassi, last year. As any of you who know Dave, he is quite the traveler, putting as much as 11,000 miles on a single trip. I have ridden with him on some of these trips and his 48 Chief is a great runner. He stated that he loves his chief overdrive transmission and can now easily cruise at 65-70 MPH and the power band is there for passing and more. He will never go back to a 3 speed. His only problem now is brakes, but I guess he will just have to live with it.

Comment

CARL,
      Thanks for your input ! I guess I had already made up my mind that I wanted one ,you just pushed me over the edge!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEWYEAR!

Comment

Where is the best source for the 4 speed tranny? My guess is that Starklight and Kiwi sell the same unit.
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Since there's only one manufacturer of the 4 speed tranny as far as I know, outside of price it doesn't really matter where you purchase one.

Comment

Originally posted by knucky View Post
            Since there's only one manufacturer of the 4 speed tranny as far as I know, outside of price it doesn't really matter where you purchase one.
            Wish they'd inform us of the ratio in 4th gear. I've heard of 2 different units, one with a 1.23, the other with about a 1.15. ..
            Anybody?

Comment

They make two versions - a hi and a lo. Exact gear ratios are listed at: http://chief-overdrive.com/index.php?page=Gear-Ratios
              They also ship with an output sprocket, you can choose from like 19-26T.
              Last edited by knucky; 12-14-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X