Sealed Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed Batteries

Does any one have any experience with the new sealed batteries they are making for the Chief? Does the "frog" fit between the post's? (The one I saw on e-bay has the post's on the top). All replies are appreciated !

I use one on my 46 Chief and another on my 31 Scout. They work very well with the magneto but don't look too stock. I may try a rubberized paint like automobile undercoating to get the
    "look"

Comment

Sealed Battery 4 Chiefs

Pretty lite on for replies eh!
      I'm after one as well, although I currently have 5 years on my YUASA wet cell battery! I would only swap if it will fit inside my fake Indian battery case, so it has to have similar dimentions to my Yuasa.
      I service my current battery every few months, and it is always kept on a trickle charger (worth their weight in gold.)
      Re chargers, I'm told that you have to use a specific type of charger for dry cell batteries, which is another consideration, although I'm yet to have some one explain the reason for this fully.

Best wishes.

Ken.

Comment

Thanks for your reply...I was feeling kinda lonely........
        I went ahead and got the dry cell battery. I run one on my Road King and will soon run one on my 46WL (when the current one is bad). I use either a battery tender plus, or a schumacher battery companion. One charges at 1.25 and the other at 1.5 amps. I use both chargers for both types of batteries with no problems at all.
        The one thing is though...the dry cell for a 6 volt is smaller than the original (cracked one) I got with the bike. Therefore, the holddown apparatus (whatchamacallit) that comes down from the generator won't reach it. I am considering making some "adjustments" to the piece that held down the original battery. (The dry cells posts aren't in the same spots
        Hope all is well is aussie land....it's cold as" H E double hockey sticks" up here in Detroit (Hockeytown that is). Later, Brian.

Comment

G'day Brian.
          Aussie land is great, temp must be around 90F here today.
          The clamp on your Chief is called the battery frog.
          I've made further investigation into 12v wet cell vs 12 volt dry cell chargers, and the difference seems to be a marketing ploy, as charge rates etc aren't that different.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

Comment

Baytown, I have your same concerns about the dimensions of the dry cell battery and if one could fit in a hollow Indian case. Also if a small battery can handle the charging rate that an original Auto-Lite generator delivers. Personally, I have had it with the wet cell battery I have, even though it keeps a charge. I find that I am replacing the positive battery terminal every month now due to severe corrosion. I have tried stainless steel hardware, heavy gauge wire, big terminals and greasing the goose out of everything and I still have the problem. My old Pan does this too but not as bad. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Personally, I like the dry batteries. Don't forget, they don't have to sit upright. I recently took three small 6 volt ones, taped them together, hooked them in parallel, and made a 6 V battery that fills the battery box on a VL. I did something similar on an Indian Four a while back so I suppose you could do the same thing with a Chief. That way you get a large enough battery to absorb the output from the generator, and enough zonk for lights, horn, and maybe getting home in the event of a generator failure. Another advantage, is that they hold their charge during long periods of inactivity.
              Pete

Comment

Pete, where did you get these small dry batteries ? Would Radio Shack be a possible source ?

Comment

I'm not sure about Radio Shack, but that's a good possibility. I've bought mine at a local battery supplier who has them in all shapes and sizes. They are routinely used in alarm systems, invalid scooters, etc., etc., and are usually in 12 volts, but also 6, and even 1.5. For my electric start Hendee Special '14 Indian, I plan to use 8 or ten of the little six volt ones, however many I can fit into the two battery boxes, when I get around to running it. If you have an odd shape, you could also build up a battery with 1.5 volt rechargable cells. 4 in series makes six volts, and each 6 volt group of 4 can be connected in parallel to increase the available amperage, and etc.
                  A good battery supplier can do this for you. About the only downside of these batteries are the flimsy spade connectors which you need to keep protected from vibration, etc. Its a good idea to pack them in sponge rubber or some such material.
                  Pete

Comment

Originally posted by exeric
                    Personally, I have had it with the wet cell battery I have, even though it keeps a charge. I find that I am replacing the positive battery terminal every month now due to severe corrosion. I have tried stainless steel hardware, heavy gauge wire, big terminals and greasing the goose out of everything and I still have the problem. My old Pan does this too but not as bad. Suggestions would be appreciated.
                    I've changed over to 12V as I ride the bike a lot, and wanted a better headlight beam.
                    Horn still sounds like it is running on 6 V though!
                    Looks like we will all still be waiting some time for a decent dry cell type battery which is un noticeable for 12V applications inside the fake battery box.
                    Worse for me, is I live in a rural area, where we just don't have the stock in the region to compare fit etc.
                    I've had no problems with my terminals at the battery, and I do spray them with the blue terminal stuff that tends to prevent corrosion. You may want to check this out from any decent battery shop / auto supply shop. (Actually have blue stained fingers as I type this due to working on my tractor battery yesterday!)
                    Once again though, I must be doing something good, re my current battery life, I'm on the 6th year for my Yuasa 12 V wet cell. Check levels monthly, trickle charged when parked, and bike is kept level on the side stand (my center stand is currently off the bike).
                    Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

Comment

Working...
                    X