38 UH clutch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 38 UH clutch problem

Quick question. Using larger throw-out bearing (the kicker cover is machined correctly), correct pushrod and later 38 style clutch plates. No matter how I adjust the clutch rod, I still have at least an inch and a half play in the clutch release arm when the clutch pedal is in engaed position (toe down). The push rod adjusting screw is NOS and even if I adjust it all the way in (ie. which should free up all the release arm slack), I can get nowhere near the standard 1/8 inch free play in the release arm (again its closer to 2 inches even if I adjust the clutch rod to shortest position). The clutch rod (as many of you know) is the same one used on all Big twins (I believe 18 and a quarter inches). Any thoughts? I have about 8 other antique cycles and never ran into this problem but those all utilize the 40 or 41 up clutch systems.

There are several different length pushrods used over the years. I suggest you calculate the lost of length you have, add it to the original length pushrod you are using, and replace it with a pushrod of that length. Of couse this is only if you haven't missed something else. Paps

Comment

Only thought there is my adjusting screw is already tight against the push rod- meaning that if I go any farther I risk actually cracking kicker case- which I have seen. Thanks for thought.

Comment

fixed problem- on closer look kicker cover case had small area that was not machined properly which was restricting the later throwout bearing from pushing the release finger all the way back. Thanks for response

Comment

Working...
        X