Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat tail fender info

Hi Folks

Need help with info on restoring boat tail fender assembly for 1971. Am based in england and info is scarce on these. I am looking for a relevant parts list and also any parts/ assembly illustrations or photographs please advice.

Cheers Roger

Roger. what is you e'mail address.

I can e'mail you a copy of the Factory Parts Catalog breakdown for this seat along with the Part Numbers/Description from my Sportster Parts catalogs.

I believe the same seat was used on both the Big Twin and Sportster lines for the years 1970 and 1971.

Let me know, Hrdly

Comment

Re the fender portion (the boat tail), those are different. The taillight is the same I believe, not sure about the actual seat itself. Occasionally, I see the taillight assemblies on Ebay. Have seen the assembly in years past at swap meets, but not lately.
      Lonnie

Comment

Here's a breakdown of the seat from the Sportster catalog that shows the rear light. maybe it'll help
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's the Part Numbers.

Does list everything as XL parts, but possible some of the same parts carry over to the Big Twin.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a line to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame website showing a supreme example of a '71 Super Glide.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=52

Lonnie

Comment

Here's a link to a photo of a '70 boattail Sportster - wild color, but sharp bike.

http://www.powerpassion.nl/harley/ha...tster/DSC00007

Hope this all helps you out.

Lonnie

Comment

boattail fender

Hi Folks, the boatail fender unit for the big twin is different to the sportster unit and the info I need is for the parts and fitiing for a big twin. Thanks for the info as it will be helpfull to see which parts are common between the sportssters and the superglide seat assemblys.

Comment

I remember chasing down a tail light lens for one of these many years ago. It was the same as a chevy. Can't remember the year though, somewhere in the '63 -'65 region. The "Guide" number on the original lens will tell for sure.

Comment

Thanks for the light lens info every little helps make life easier from this side of the atlantic. I'm still stuck for parts lists and assy illustrations to confirm that I have all the parts I require, so any help is happily recieved.

Comment

The tail light is the same as a 65 Impala. The Biscayne and Belair lights are similar, but don't have the chrome ring.

Comment

Checked a big twin parts book last night. The only parts that are common to the XL and FX seat are the tail light and license plate light. The FX uses FLH fender struts for the boat tail seat. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the info again every little helps. Any chance of a copy of the parts list so I can check off the parts that I have and focus on those that I still need.

Comment

I have an original 72 built in August of 71 down in my garage. Do you want some assembly pictures?
                            Doug

Comment

Hi Doug, would be grateful of some assy pics and any other info that you think would help. Still trying to find info on patrs lists and assy /parts illustrations. Cheers Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X