46 chief paint codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46 chief paint codes

I know this is probably basic knowledge, but can anyone provide me w/ the paint codes used by Indian in 1946. !931 codes would also be helpful. Thanks.

Hank

CHECK A FEW POSTS B4 YOU AND I THINK YOU CAN FIND THEM OR LOOK IN THE MAG FOR A FELLOW NAMED STEVE JOHNSON I DO BELIEVE HE HAS THEM

Comment

I have some of the colors such as praire green and seafoam blue as far as the red the comparisons I've made at the request of two club restorers show what we in the color business call color shift as a result I've reformulated two of the reds to look the way they did 40 years ago, not the way a cuurent mix formula acheives the mix value.

Comment

1931 colors

John Dubell asked me to formulate the 31 colors from a dealer color page he aquiered. As a result of many hours oy mixing I have the full color palate from 31 incidently a few of the colors show up with diferent names in other years. Johns' color page appeared to be actual paint as oposed to ink so in my opinion it is a rare example/document.

Comment

Are you going to give up the numbers John? That would be helpful. Otherwise I'll just wait for someone to scan Steves orig paint sample board. Which is a really cool thing in itself.

The color shift will be undetectable unless two simular parts from different bikes are laid on top of each other.

Comment

Admin ,

I wouldnt expect either of these Gentlemen to give it for free,but maybe a good price!

Comment

Indian color

Let me try to explain what involved in the color research I do and I'm sure it went about the same for Steve Johnson.1st you find a authentic color sample, either on loan or purchase. Next,on saturday you shake it for an hour if it is liquid or gentlly polish it for a while assuming the owner is in approval. If you spray you properly reduce it ,spray it on a prepared test panel clean your gun,and wait a day or two for it to dry.3rd step, drive to a jobber and have him or her scan it ,mix up a sample half pint take it back to the shop reduce it spray clean etc. and if it's base coat mix a small amount of clear at $3.00 an ounce clean up again.$th if it matches then your done, and it will match 4 out of 10 times the camera's prepare you for closest match possible and be prepared to tint or blend. I've found that I now go my mix bank a $8000.00 investment that needs to be warm in it,s own roomis where I,ll be for the next few hours tinting. 5th step asuming the paint in the can looks good I start to spray process again,There is another day gone,waste created for disposal and a pint or two of inventory to sit on .Lastley mix and spray one more tme to be shure the color is consitant every time.Oh yeah log it check the cost code,after all it,s a petroleum prduct and in N.H.those things have been rising and I haven't seen my wallet doing the same.So as for giving up the formula's and when a color is created it's a formula ,,a code is only a start if the color is on a current data base,I choose not to. After all paint and time are of different value to each person. John

Comment

Well said John. Thanks.

Comment

Information from the Virtual Indian Web Site files. Hope this is of help.

Best wishes from Australia, and Merry Christmas.

Ken.

Indian Paint Codes
                  The color names from the guide are apparently an Indian
                  descriptive and only showed as a base color on the computer.
                  these are the results:
                  Original 93-2174 Fallon Brown; Current 2174 Brown; Year
                  1940—
                  Original 93-1032 Seafoam Blue; Current 1032 Blue; Year
                  1940 thru 1948—
                  Original 0-94-658-M Red; * Current 658 Red;
                  Year 1952-53---
                  Original 0-94R-20953 Medium Blue; Current 20953 Blue; Year
                  1952-53---
                  Original 0-94-5248 Yellow; Current 5248 Yellow;
                  Year1952-53---
                  Original 0-94-6282 Green; Current 6282 Green; Year
                  1952-53---
                  Original 0-94-20952 Light green; Current 20952 Green; Year
                  1952-53---
                  Original 0-94-2622-R Pimpernel Scarlet; Current 2622
                  Scarlet;
                  Year 1952-53--
                  * The 658 code was quoted to me several years ago as Indian
                  Red and is indeed a dark red.
                  It was also quoted by Dupont in a letter to Steve Blanchard
                  as the nearest current color to the red used by Indian in
                  1931 which was Dupont Duco #22857. (Posted by Steve on 15
                  May 99).
                  When I was checking the codes, it appeared that the code itself had
                  not changed, only the descriptive color. An example is the Indian color
                  of Pimpernel Scarlet, code number 2622 which is still the present day
                  code number 2622 but listed only as scarlet.
                  The prefix in the old number such as 93- or 94- indicated the paint
                  type with (I believe) 93 denoting Duco and 94 denoting Dulux. The paint
                  type in present day numbers is indicated with a suffix letter with U
                  denoting Emron, A = Centari, D = Dulux, L = Lucite, J = Cronar, & K =
                  Chromabase. Thus the old paint code of 94-2622, Dulux Pimpernel Scarlet,
                  would be present day code number 2622-D, Dulux scarlet.
                  The above paint types were from about 3 years ago and I'm sure that
                  some are no longer available and, more than likely, newer ones now
                  exist. Also, of the 18 codes listed in Hatfield's book, only 8 still
                  survived at the time I checked.
                  I can't find his catalog, but John Pierce, of New Hampshire, is the
                  Dupont guy for New England and he has matched most of the Indian
                  colors. He also sells the correct paint for another brand, whose name
                  excapes me. He knows paint inside out, maybe one of the Yankee guys
                  can help with his contact info. He's been with Dupont for years and
                  been restoring bikes for years also. John Pierce has an ad in the AMCA
                  mag with all of his contact information. A great guy who really knows
                  paint. You just have to get past that New Hampshire accent. I just saw
                  a nice 38 knuckle with his paint a few weeks ago. He's usually at most
                  of the east coast meets just hanging out drinking a lager and always
                  willing to help out if you have a question.

Comment

Hey easy on the accent! Im for Maine and he dosent have one bit of an accent...its you guys that do!! HA!HA!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Comment

The info put together by the gentleman from Australia was very well done . As for the accent Thank you it seems all parts of our country are beginning to loose their unique accents or maybe it's what the media thinks we need. I'd like to add a couple of observations to baytown's. I'll use code 658 commonly used as post war Indian Red as an example:The code 658 would draw up B 8750 for a formula ,this formula had 6 toners in its' mix .Toner #856 was one of them , For whatever reason that toner went obsolete and it's replacement yields a different shade of color it turns oxide or brown,incidently a toner may have 150 ingrediants in it to make it be the color you see, this demand makes quality control an unforgiving job. The color chip in the color book is also only a resonable facimale .What a professional does in a shop leads me to a method that I used to pass on to shops: Clean the color you intend to match, use buffing compound to remove surface debris, follow that with polish to remove the compound scratches,paint a small test card or piece of sheet metal the color you intend to use, bring the two into natural light, also have a small container of wax and tar remover and a towel or a flannel as some blokes might say ,wet the origonal part and leave it wet, this won't hurt the finish but will give it the appearance of fresh paint for a minute or two ,make your comparison ,if it matchespaint the unit if not the color needs adjustment . The point of this is to make sure the color you tell your shop to spray is the color you want it to be. Check twice paint once. Cheers John

Comment

Good on you John.
                        I just lifted it from a thread on the VI web site the boys had a year or so ago.
                        Your expertise is obviously well respected.
                        Do you mind if I add your new comments to the Vi site as well for the info of the Indian world?

Best wishes mate.
                        Ken.

Comment

46 Indian

Thank You . Please go ahead .A while back when John Dubell loaned me his 30's chips to copy he may have put it on vi I never asked. If we met at Oley pardon me for not remembering 'see you inthe spring for a lager. John.

Comment

Working...
                          X