transmission oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission oil

just got a '64 FLH. previous owner says he used Mobil synthetic gear oil in the tranny. anyone see any problem with that, or is there something else you all recommend using? thanks for the input.

Sounds good - but I know nothing.

Congrats! Why 64 and not 65 (65 first yr of electric start wasn't it?), just curious.

Have you opened it up to take a look see inside yet? Heads off, trans open, check wheel bearings, brakes, etc. Sorry that's just me. I do that sort of thing.

Comment

Nothing the matter with using mobil but why not HD stuff? I guess when Ican Im a brand loyalist!1st thing Id do is drain everything and start fresh no guessing involved! enjoy

Comment

paul -- just ran into a '64 first! been looking for a good pan for a little while and this was original paint, low miles. just got it on sunday, so haven't gotten into it yet.

inline nut -- someone told me that if you mix synthetic and regular oil it kind of turns into cottage cheese. plus, i thought the whole deal with synthetic was that it really sticks to the gears better than regular (don't know myself, just what i heard). what is going to be the best way to really get ALL of the synthetic stuff out of the tranny before reloading with regular? i don't want a box full of gunk.

Comment

I would not mix the two it isnt a good thing to do ! As fro getting the mobilout just flush a couple of times it should take care of it run a little and do again! good luck

Comment

Hummm.. OK, pictures.
            I'd just stick w/ Mobil synth. in tran. It's good stuff. Probably better than the HD stuff in fact.

Comment

Working...
            X