Oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil??

Just wondering what kind of oil you guys use??

dave.

I use straight 50 weight Harley Oil in mine.

Comment

ditto...straight 50 Valvoline....good for Indians too.

Louie

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys!

dave.

Comment

Guy from Harley advised me that if you have to buy oil along the road, pick one that's also diesel-rated and not just gasoline engine rated. He said it would stand up better in the demanding service of an air-cooled engine.

Comment

Thats a new one on we but wworth knowing! When im onm the road and need a quart I just try and find a auto-parts store if thats an issue then I just use a lighter grade,Im still not sure mixing the twois a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
              Thats a new one on we but wworth knowing! When im onm the road and need a quart I just try and find a auto-parts store if thats an issue then I just use a lighter grade,Im still not sure mixing the twois a good idea!
              I have "heard" that mixing grades, brands, doesn't hurt as oil is blended to be combined because they know lots of people are gonna do it.

Next time you're in the oil aisle look at the various brands and you'll see that some are just "gas" rated while others are "gas-and-diesel" rated. The guy who said to use diesel in a bike was a Harley engineer and he seemed to know what he was saying.

Comment

Well fook him (big time enginer) you do what you want Ill do what I want Ive been putting oil in MCs for a long time Ive seen plenty of so called bikers that dont know **** from shineola Baby do your own thing! Have a great day

Comment

Hey Inline........fook??????? That's priceless!!!!!!!....The tears are still comin' out of my eyes.... Is that anything like calling him a bool****er??

Comment

Hey I got censored!!!! I guess I have to put a little more thought into it.........Har!Har!

Comment

Synthetics, exclusively. The point of oil is to lubricate. So, shouldn't it be the slickest stuff you can find? Even the 'Factory' caved in, and started offering their line of synthetics, after bashing all other brands for years. I've been using it since the early 80's, and was using mineral oil for break-in of newly built engines and transmissions. I don't do that anymore. They will break-in with synthetics, too. I recommend extending the breaking period. But, that's the only change.

Jack

Comment

JACK,
                        I do agree with your comments about synthetic oils!
                        I now use them in two of my FOURS....BUT only after total rebuilds and a breakin period of 500 miles with regular(single grade) natural stuff.
                        I never did this until I bought a set of pistons from RobbyRobinson,(had a tree wheeler Four last months mag).
                        I now never loose any oil to speak of while ridding eeither one.
                        My statement was I dont mix oils of what I consider grades or uses motor oil for motors diesel oils forulated for such Id use it.
                        My favorite syn is Royal Purple followed by Torco

Comment

CO,
                          Glad I could make you smile! and you figured it out !!

Comment

You certainly did make me smile Inline! I can appreciate that kind of sarcasim! I'll try to remember the tips on oil as well!!!! Take care and a Happy New Year to you!!!!!!

Comment

i was wondering about the weight as i have heard 60 weight is what you should use. i have just finished a 46 fl and was wondering oil i should use and also what should i be putting in the tranny. thanks kk1340

Comment

Working...
                              X