"H-D model b single distributor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "H-D model b single distributor?

Does anyone have any photos of the distributor for a model b single? I have been creating a 3D CAD model of this motor in CATIA for many months using reverse engineering techniques but the distributor that I have is missing some parts. I need some photos to see what parts I need, what they look like and where they go.

Try posting your question on the DL45homepage website. I know Bruce Dunning reads it and he has tons of '26-'34 single parts.

Comment

The A and B Single circuit breaker appears to be the same as the distributor on the JD for 1926 (except the cap). The '27 and later is also the same as that of the later JD:s. but it has only one cam notch like the earlier JD distributors.
      Fiskis

Comment

how close is it to a 34 c model? got mine out at the moment

Comment

After 1929 this type circuit breaker was only used on the Singles. As there was not too many made, I do not think they changed the design after 1931 ( one notch cam and late JD plate & cap). The books always talk about the factory using up surplus parts.
          Yes, I'm sure the '34 is correct for '30. My 1935 parts book offers the same circuit breaker for 1918-29 JD and 1926-34 Singles. They obviously did not care to stock separate models anymore. So it is possible that late Singles had a lost spark feature as the Twins. On the outside there would not be any difference, though.
          If you mmoore put a picture of your '34 part in this thread, we'll be wiser.
          Fiskis

Comment

You'll come to some awful grief if you don't remember that the drive gear on a single is different to that on a twin, otherwise the timers are the same.
            The exact differences were in an article in a recent edition of the club magazine
            I can help you with a complete timer if you have no luck finding one closer to home

Tommo

Comment

PAG where you from? im in iowa, Tommo is in new zealand hopefully one of us is close. I would be interested in seeing your project completed. Fiskis as far as posting a pic here is hard on this old machine. I can email as a attachment to you a pic but I have trouble trying to post pics on sites. would you mind helping me on this? mmoore56@netins.net my other (old) email listed in club roster may be my old one use "amca" in subject line so i spot it easy mike

Comment

According to my parts book the gear 1545-26 fits all Singles 1926-34. You are right Tommo, that it is not the same as the 1547-18 for the JD. Never checked that out before. That means that the corresponding worm gear inside the generator is different too. 1649 18 for JD and 1648-26 resp. 1648-30 for early and llate Singles. I hope we have enough of these parts ourselves, as we have three Singles under construction side by side and two in an other garage, all different year and model.
                Fiskis

Comment

Photos From Mike Moore.

Mod B front
                  Attached Files

Comment

Back
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

mmoore,
                        The "distributor" is very strange looking. The big grease cup resembles the one on my 1920 J. The cast body could be from an early unit, but the "Delco-Remy" tag I do not recognize. I have a feeling that the older Harley cut-off relays had only "REMY" on top, and that "Delco-Remy" came in the early 30:ies. The cap is of the 1927-up type. If the gears are of the right type (see earlier posts) it would probably work. It could be a later replacement part from Delco-Remy, as the points are of a modern design.
                        My bikes are in different locations, so it is not so easy to check things.
                        Fiskis

Comment

the 35 spare parts book dont show very good pictures I found on remys web page (now delco remy is just remy again)info that leads me to believe the merger was about 1920 www.remyinc.com/aboutus/history.htm is were i found that however im still not sure if it was the original circuit breaker

Comment

this breaker does work in my 34 c I also now remember the remy cut out relays anybody else have any of these units ? if so check them out let us know

Comment

Working...
                            X