springer to hub problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• springer to hub problem

hello peeps, i have some q's about aftermarket springers...
    i want to put a 64 brake hub on an after market springer, but none of them have a mount for the 'shackle bar' <--thats what the hd manual calls it, it holds the plate to the rear leg.
    does anyone sell a springer like that so i wouldnt have to weld one on ? I really want the paughco springer with the shock.
    anyway, does anyone sell the mount for it ? it looks like a triangular tab from what i've seen on original springers but nobody has the original springer with the shock on it, at least a chrome one.
    most importantly, i guess i will fabricate a mount and have a welder install it...but will the weld destroy all the new chrome on the leg i put the mount on ? this thing is gonna cost 1500 bucks , so i'm worried about that stuff most of all. for now, maybe i'll get over it...thanks for listening. watching .
    kj

Hello,

64 or 46 front brake backing plate ? I am familiar with stock equiptment, so bear with me. On a stock springer, yes there ia a tab, and v-twin sells a front end with the tab on it. I have found that it fits pretty well. The only thing i had to do is re-drill the hole for the springer retaining ball plate b/c it was off center 1/4 inch. Anyway, if u need an inline rear springer leg for a bt, i do have one in primer if u need one. It would need to be chromed. If u want more braking power, i have seen ppl putting the new HD springers with the disc brakes on. But anyway, u need the shakle tab to run original equipment.

Rich

Comment

thanks again, i dont have the hub yet but i'll have 2 in a few days.
      yes, its a 64 hub w/backing plate.
      vtwin does sell the springer i want with the shock on it,but its painted and i want chrome. the vtwin pic doesnt really show if it has a mounting tab. either way, i was looking at the paughco because it's chrome- somethings gotta be chrome depending on my current vision...i might want to change it down the road tho'
      What about getting a mount welded to a chrome leg ?
      do you know if it will really screw up the chrome ?or how much will be screwed up ?
      thanks for answerin.
      kj

Comment

hmmm

I have never seen a hydra glide front brake setup on a springer, b/c i doubt it fits. However, a 64 hub is interchangable with an early one. I don't know about paucho springer quality in metallurgy or welds, but i do know that the chrome will ruined if welded on, and chrome does not readily accept welds.

Comment

thanks again, looks like it wont work ...parts books all say 36 to 48 for springers, i swear i saw a springer with a fl hub on it, but I am probably confused ...it looked like a smooth cover on it like on the hydroglide forks.
          How bout if i grind off the chrome a couple of inches on the rear leg for a weld mount ? do you think welding would harm the plating after that ?dont they use heat sinks for that kind of thing ?

kj

Comment

You may have seen a springer with a disc front brake I believe someone overseas may make it,but not sure
            Just one other question why would you take a new chrome springer and ruin the finish welding anything on it,seems like a waste to me...but then again your paying do what you like!Have FUN!!!

Comment

On the other hand......
              I was in a local shop the other day and noticed on one of the racks was a Pan with a HydraGlide front end and a Springer brake mounted on it. It was obviously a home made fix, but my question was WHY would anyone do such a thing???

Louie

Comment

why ? because i have more than a few front end pieces, wtf.
                help me out dude, i can find an original hub for springer.
                but i'm going for aftermarket chrome springer and none accept
                the original hub anyway.
                I dont mean to open a new can of worms , but why would anyone want to do such a thing ? -" put disc brakes on a harley ?front or rear ?
                heehee, sorry to offend.
                thanks@all for the input

kj

Comment

V-Twin does indeed make chrome-plated replica springers and good quality, I might add. In the 2005 book, they even list extended springers, chrome, that have the brake shackle attachment. In addition, they list VL type springers that have the correct neck to use on a knucklehead or newer frame, either in chrome or black.
                  Following through on Louie's train of thought, there are some things, that though technically possible, are not worth the effort. If you want a better front drum brake for a springer, perhaps you should look into the "twin cam" aftermarket springer brake. I have talked with a gentleman who has one on his WR replica and he states that it is a definite improvement over the stock setup. They look pretty cool, too.
                  Lonnie

Comment

Just letting everyone know that we produce the original style Springer forks that V-Twin sells and also the Dual Cam Brake assembly.

I'm posting this for a couple reasons. One, if you purchase through 45" Parts Depot, I give a Lifetime warranty on the Springer forks.....not our Chopper forks though, just the stock length through 4" over, no-one else can do that. I also give a 2-Year Warranty on all parts with the FMC brand, which includes the Dual Cam Brake and over 1000 other parts we produce for the antique bikes.

The second reason is; if any AMCA member purchases from us and presents proof via current membership card number, 45" Parts Depot will donate 5% of the parts sale to the new AMCA European Chapter. I'm the chapter Treasurer and I want to make sure it will continue to grow well into the future and this is my offering to the AMCA and the Chapter.

If anyone has questions, I can be reached at: info@45partsdepot.com

Kurt Riffe

Comment

Working...
                    X