First gear pops out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First gear pops out?

Was playing with link rod tonight. Looks/feels like it's long enough. It's bottoming out. First gear on a scout trans is all the way down. Full push forward with the right hand shifter.

So I'm wondering if the spring loaded index ball bearing should be tightened or if it could be something else all together?

I found it really easy to slip past 2nd onto 3rd. It's not gated.

It holds if I keep a little pressure on the shifter. So maybe it is the link rod?
    Or is it a combination of the two? Does anyone know?

I'm getting a little more relaxed riding it now. Must fix those oil leaks. Return oil is a nice gentil glub, glub, now. So figure I'm getting the mighty 3-4 lbs pressure.

Tighten the detent and it should stop. If not the back-cut on the gears is worn and that can be fixed with some careful grinding.

Comment

OK, great! Thanks. Hopefully not the gears.
      Now to make some sort of custom wrench to get up under the trans and between the engine mount plates. It's going to be tricky getting to that bolt I think.

Comment

Detent bolt tighten easily w/ by hand.

I adjusted the shift rod to give me a little more first gear. Worked a little better but still slips due to wear.

I guess these three speeds are designed to just half-engage the teeth of first and third. Is that right?

Riding around this eve I lost the clutch had to ditch bike in a fire house. I'm scooting down the hwy at 55 and suddenly "blahhhh" nothing, no engagement. After pushing it half mile. Such fun.... Parked in back of the trucks. Chief has a HD. I'm thinking the plates got hung-up or a nut has come loose or something. Any guesses? I'll crack it open and have a look see.

Removed play from steering dampner stud on frame. Rides like a completely different bike. Very solid now.

Comment

Working...
        X