'20s Schebler floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '20s Schebler floats

I was getting to get a bike up and running the other day that had a DLX20 carb on it. It it the bronze body carb that Schebler made between the barrel type carbs and the pot metal carbs. The float is smaller than the pot metal carbs. I thought I had the right one, but it was the later pot metal type. In my search, I opened up an an old alcohol carb of the same vintage in hopes to rob it. Turns out that carb had a later Linkert float in it. How they made it fit in the bowl was to cut out about an 1-1/8" chunk (slot) out of it so you could get it into the bowl. When the cut is made, it looks like a horseshoe, then you can fit it into the bowl. The cut is directly across from the attach point to the needle valve assembly. I dunked it in gas tank sealer after cutting it. It works great. Thank some racer from years ago for that solution.

Yes! Very good trick indeed.

I've heard of guys doing that on the road in a pinch, if a float was punctured and swelled up.

Comment

In our mag I believe there was an article about 2 fellows going to Harleys 100 Aniv party and did just that (split it and took out a chunk) because they broke down and the local dealer didnt have one! The fellow said he was still using it like 500 miles later! Good little trick!

PS: Admin over 1000 posts???? Fingers must be wornout!!!!

Comment

I thought these were for 1 1/4" H-model Schebs (see attachment).

This one is set to original depth, as it has not been weighed down with goober.
        Attached Files

Comment

COTTEN,
          The float material in your pic looks like the same as in the one I have in one of my FOURS!!! And yes it works just fine THANK YOU!!!!

MERRYCHRISTMAS&HAPPY NEWYEAR!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X