Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fires on prime, no run- what was float level set w/ foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires on prime, no run- what was float level set w/ foam?

Thom what was the float level supposed to be? Modern foam float. Linkert 641. Starting via side kick, R side. -bike on side stand.

Two initial primes before fire. So figure I'm not doing too badly. Having fun but getting tired. Little 45s aren't that bad to kick. It's pretty hot out these days.
    Must get some baffles installed. A wee bit loud with straight pipes.

Filter is clear- lots of gas. So I figure it must be the float and/or needle. Any help appreciated. Going out to take it appart now.

Funny thing happened the other night. I figure the little scout must look pretty good. I had it on trailer sitting at red in left turn lane and some hard core biker type fella was making a left at intersection and stopped dead middle of the road beside my trailer and just stared at the bike. I'm looking at the guy and thinking - man, your gonna get hit, it's just a bike, get move'in dude. Thankfully he didn't get hit.

Float in full up-right position = just under 3/8" from bowl top. Too low?

Comment

Admin-Guy, you can always tell when it's the real thing when you can stop traffic by just being there!

Comment

Thanks- I guess so. She looks old, chipped and dented (w/ modern guts). My personal preference for a 65yr old machine built to ride. Stress free....

My ground clearance is now something like 2.25" under the pipes. So the sparks are gonna fly me thinks. Oh well - time will tell.

Wish me luck for oil return.

Comment

Somebody rattled my cage! (I appreciate it, as I'm slowing down in my old age.)

Book spec on float level is 1/4 inch.
          (.250" or 6.35 mm)
          That's how the carbs were designed to work best with a 3 gram float.

Do you have a DURABLE in it?
          (HellIcan't remember if I sold you one. I only today looked up your tab on the manifold repair months ago. I'm such a biznizman!)

If you are running a light colored foam replacement..........good luck dude.

Comment

Much thanks, One of yours - dark grey - maybe 1.5yrs back.

0.25? OK= I'll do that. I was thinking it was even less than that.

Yes I owe you. Had to remind you of that.
            Hate to leave loose ends. email me.

Comment

Measured from the highest point of the float. Or mean?

Comment

Try to get the whole float as level as possible, and then measure wherever is easiest.

Ironically, the need for accuracy of the measurement diminished with the weight of the float. I get reports of good results no matter where they are set!

Comment

Cotten,
                  Are you going to Davenport if so please E_Mail me
                  onedollarbill@hushmail.com thanks

Comment

D-port!

Yes!

Davenport is the only Meet that I can attend, and have boothed there for many years.

Although I haven't received the usual conformation, it should be W-2, next to Jim Crocker's Alabama Indian on the corner by the race gate.

Looking forward to it!

...Cotten
                    PS: I posted you direct, but it was returned un-deliverable.

Comment

OK! I'm open to suggestions here. Still no go.

Blew out all carb paths. Everything is clear.
                      I timed off rear cycle. 3/8" from top, frt exhaust valve open. Dist. points just about to open just before Dist. large rear lobe.

Four turns on idle screw, 1.5 on high. Plugs = NGK- XR5 5953
                      HD gas filter. ----- yes, it's flowing.

I'm getting tempted to just drag this thing down the street behind a truck until it fires. BUT! open to other suggestions.

Comment

OH YA! It gets better!

Compression test. 50 rear 70 front. I need a break.

Comment

Cotten, You must be one or two rowes down from Jay Zanetti ,Frank Westfall and Dick Davies???? I must have seen you there and didnt even know it was you ! Ill look you up and yes I did get you direct,thanks!

Comment

Paul, Sounds like you need to have a look at your tappet to valve clearance. I have been following your progress reports, but don't remember what was done to the motor. Is it fresh? Something that may help with starting, hold the bike upright when kicking. When leaning on the side stand, all the raw fuel from choking the machine just runs out of the carb. Don't drag it down the street with your truck, usually results in a rash for the bike and rider. If you feel you have to involve the truck, throw the bike in the back and bring it to Wisconsin. I will help you get it going if you promise I get the second ride.

Comment

It's a new day! A fresh perspective and I'm no longer stoned on gas fumes.
                              I certainly won't be draggin this little baby down the street anytime soon.

Thanks for advice re- double check tappets. Will do.
                              Motor is fresh - in a manner of speaking.
                              With 50lbs I've got a bad feeling that my rear barrel should be pulled and hand lap the valves for fit. A leak down test is something I forgot to do. So it's my own fault. I got a little excited just getting the barrels on. So..... off they come again. I think it will be easier dealing with the springs/collets with the barrel off, inverted.

I'm very curious for a benchmark compression number. A 45 jug of any kind with flat top piston should have a comp. of what - say.... 75-80lbs? Is that about right?

Comment

Working...
                              X