It Runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Runs

I finally got the time and nerve to start my 1943 741. Bought at auction with supposedly 17 miles on complete mechanical restoration. Okay, we'll see. First kick, thank gawd it ain't froze up. Second kick, nothing, wondering if anything is set up right. Third kick, was that a spit out the carb? Fourth kick, nah! Fifth kick, bang, started running like it had some place to go. Wants to run at idle and a hair of throttle on first or second chock notch. Any blip of the throttle brings on roughness and eventually kills her, even after fairly warmed up (I think). Taking choke off also kills. kRunning lean? I shut it down after jugs felt fairly normally hot.
    So now what? Do you retorgue the head bolts. Surely they would have known that much, wouldn't they. What torgue?
    No leaks around head. Dripping a little (for an old bike) below the oil pump.
    What do you think of her behavior? Should I try it again before messing with the carb?
    There is no filter material in the carb cover. Should I stick a snot rag in there, or what?
    Thanks for the help. I think I'm up to about a 1st grade level on old bikes, so don't hold back.

This is a long shot but If you are using the old linkert carb check and make sure you are using the correct old style throttle (solid wire inside casing that pushes the butterfly open). Unless you use a reverser or have the cable u-turn and come from behind the carb you can't us a modern throttle (pull cable inside of a casing) with an old linkert.

Jim

Comment

Before you do any damage, please, please test for vacuum leaks.

A constant 15 psi upon the bare manifold with some dilute dishsoap around the nuts will tell all: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

THEN we can go on to other variables.

And there are several. But one step at a time. Please have patience! It IS worth it!

Comment

Thanks Jim and T.
        Throttle cable is correct. T, I hear ya. I'll check. May be a week or two, I'm heading out to Vintage Motorcycle Days in Ohio this week. To be continued...

Comment

Working...
        X