tailpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailpipes

what do you guys do to your muffler/tailpipe if you want it black? someone suggested using stove black or stove wax, but i have read that stove wax does not prevent rust or corrosion, so it could turn into a weekly thing. what about some kind of heat resistant, spray on stove paint? any thoughts?

Saw your photo on Yank RR. Good stuff. Looks like you all had fun and had good weather. George is crafty -keep a close eye on him, you may get 101 fever.

High Heat manifold paint. Same thing as stove paint. String wire through can so that you can fit in oven. Heat up cleaned/ wire brushed can. Maybe 150 for 15. Pull it, wait a min. Then paint first coat. Stick it back in oven at 200 for 45. Pull and hit it again. Bake - so on. I've had great results with this method.

Bakeing wet paint is super stinky and probably toxic. Outdoors in hot sun hanging from tree or clothsline - plan B.

Comment

plan b it is -- the wife won't allow any bike parts in the kitchen, much less bake them in the oven

Comment

Go to a hobby shop that has remote control airplane kits. They will have heat guns that are used to apply heat shrink covering for the plane kits. They are MUCH hotter than hair dryers.
        Arrange it to blow through your pipe/ muffler for 20-30 minutes.
        This will heat it well above 100 degrees.

Comment

Snap-On sells a REAL nice heat-gun thats built for this and just about any job!

Comment

I heat cured mine on the bike
            let run for 5 min shut off for 10, let run for 10 min then shut off for 10, one more time at 10 min. It seems to be holding up well

Comment

You can also get it ceramic coated, find your local powder coating company, they might do it.

dave.

Comment

Working...
              X