Paint or Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint or Powder

I have a stock rigided frame, with a working fork lock. Should I have it painted or powder coated ? I don't want to take the fork lock out, If I have it sandblasted will it damage the lock ,provided it is covered. If I have it powder coated , will the lock withstand the heat without damage ? Either way the frame needs the old paint removed.

A matter of personal preference I would think. Personally I'm a paint guy. Takes longer but I like to do stuff myself.

Lock would survive 325 degree of powder bake/melt. Metal tape to cover and razor blade scrape to clean up.

Do a search (6th purple button top right) I think some talk about this previously.

Comment

powder coating is really nice in my opinion! (those are like *SSholes every1 has 1!) I dont have the tools or knowhow to do either but have gone both ways and for a MC that is ridden often I like the powder coating better! As far as the fork lock why not take it out its simple and then no harm can come to it !! Which ever way you go its really your choice and I wish you luck with either!!!! Have FUN

Comment

Ya I agree, just take it out and mask off hole.

Find the lock pin. Give it some heat. Punch it. Drill it a bit. Hammer a philips into it and spin it out.

Comment

If the powder coat process involves a phosphate pre-treatment, the lock needs to come out.You don't want phosphoric acid residue in the lock internals.

Comment

Decided to powder coat frame . The fork lock came out fairly easy! The frame is on its way to the powder coater. Thanks D. N.

Comment

Working...
            X