Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small hole right side of linkert? Plug or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small hole right side of linkert? Plug or not?

What is the small hole on right side of my linkert for? Vaccume lock? Is that an over flow hole? What's it for? What if I plug it? What would that do?

I thought Cotten would jump in on this one. I'm no carb expert, but as I understand it that's the main nozzle vent. The nozzle can be externally vented (hole outside as you have) or internally vented (notch cut into bottom of venturi). Harley was one way and Indian the other. If you mix up the bodies and venturis you're hosed, either no venting or double venting (too much of a good thing). So ... given you have an externally vented body, make sure your venturi isn't internally vented. If it is, either change out the venturi for the correct type, or plug the hole ... Perry

Comment

Gimme a break,.. my evil server's been down!

Paul, I thought you had an Indian. They had no nozzle vent in the body, so please let us know which model we are speaking of, and exactly which hole, as there might be as many as three if it is a Harley model.

At any rate, none should be plugged with a proper assembly. And I even doubt that running both a vented venturi and a vented body would make an appreciable difference. And since most venturies have shrank to allow air around them, a carb with neither vent might still run!

Comment

Ahhhh.... thanks for info.

Linkert M641. I'm going to leave it alone and see how the bike runs. If it runs.

Comment

Your M641 should vent through a slot on the bottom side of the venturi, and not through the side of the carb.

The only hole that I can think of would be indeed be the bowl vent or "overflow" as indicated in the attachment, although I don't have an M641 in my hands.

(It appears that previewing the post eliminated the attachment, and the edit function doesn't offer the option to add one.)

Comment

Cotten,
            Sorry if this isnt the place for my question, Would you be able to help me find a good carb 441 for my 41 Four??? I have a bad one have tried everything to fix it and now need to find one! THANKS Carbman!

Comment

I don't wheel and deal carbs outright (yet), although I make 'marriages' occasionally.

In the meantime, nearly any 1" model can be made to service.

Now I can try this attachment again.....
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes - that's the hole I was refering to. The "bowl vent hole". Now I know what it's for. What happens if I plug it?

Comment

The bowl won't fill.

Comment

interesting

okay, i have a m74 on a knuckle and when i am priming the motor, and the choke is closed gas blows out the venturi vent.
                    could this mean i have the wrong venturi in th carb???

i had never had this happen before and this post is in perfect time for it!!!

help!

other than that the carb seem to work fine, and it only does it when the choke is fully shut.

Comment

CD!

I doubt that you have the wrong venturi,... but you may very well have it installed backwards.

More than a few have arrived at my shop like that which have been reported to run "fine".

Linkerts are very forgiving.

Comment

hmmmm

could that make it shoot gas out like that???

neat

im gonna check that this afternoon!

thanx!

Comment

While we are on the subject of this overflow vent, maybe someone can offer some advise on my problem. My '42 knuck has a consistent problem, ever since it was put together last year, with gas pouring out of the overflow. The carb has been completely redone. It cut up big-time in Wauseon (late July), and my buddy replaced my foam float with a brass float, hoping that was the problem (though the foam float appeared fine). That seemed to solve the problem, as it did not do it again there. The bike sat until Jefferson (October 1st), and when I started it up there, presto, gas out the overflow! I bought an NOS needle & seat and hope this will cure it, but it is a shot in the dark. Trash in the gas does not seem to be the issue (100% restored orig. fuel ystem). Does it hot or cold, but not consistently. Sometimes, when I crank it with the gas off, then turn the gas on once it is running, it will be okay but not always. Any ideas?
                          Thanks - Lonnie

Comment

Lonnie!

Even the best of floatvalves will seep over a matter of time if the petcock is not "positive".

If, however, your problem shows itself quite quickly, then a very likely culprit to suspect would be the brass boatanchor float, which certainly weighs at at least three or four times as much as an original.

Thus, to operate anywhere close, it must be set very deep in the bowl. Otherwise it allows the fuel level to rise to a flood.
                            Even when set to 3/8" or more when necessary, it will rob you of reserve volume for accelleration, and gas mileage as well, but should service for a 'parade machine'.

Nobody really cares about gas mileage anymore,....right??

If you desire better, post me direct, lest I spam the forum.

Comment

okay

we got the carb figured out for the most part, but it still blows gas out the venturi vent when the choke is closed....

oh yeah, the bike is my buddy nelson's, he bought durable float for this carb in davenport from you

we got it pretty well dialed...

should we sorry about the gas blowin out then???

Comment

Working...
                              X