B single s/n's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B single s/n's

I'm a new member and have been trying to figure out the year of a single I acquired. The s/n # is B9999, It seems I heard or read years ago that a Harley s/n with all 9's was a prototype.
    Does anyone know if this is true?

i have a 34 model c and my numbers are way different they are 34c1677 i have some old harley number books ill check them out anyway would like to see yours if you have a pic if you email me put flathead in subject line mike

Comment

ok i checked some books and im getting more confused than ever now mine 34c1677 34 is year c is model 1677 is production sequence number BUT they only (aledgidly?) made a little more than 200 model c bikes also the numbers dont follow harley protocal (first p. digit even year thing here) ok maybe they did all the singles ( no not even close yet) however i think i will put a call in to the harley gods (aka kurt and mike) light some candles chant some bob segar and wait for a sign (is this world getting weirder ?) if you find anything id be interested to hear

Comment

oh yeah they used single cyl harley motors on lawn mowers also back then (worthington mower co either in minn or wis i believe)

Comment

The even/odd serial number digit matching year's even/odd'ness didn't start until the early 60s. I vaguely recall reading that for singles, the numbering just kept incrementing with each year picking up where the last left off. Of course I can't put my finger on where that is now. Total up C production since the model's 1930 introduction. You close now?
          I've never heard 9999 being a prototype. I think they typically used EX (for experimental) in the serial numbers of those ... Perry

Comment

I thought you had something but if my books are correct production in 29 was 1,570 30 was 1,627 31 was 1,059 32 was 540 33 was 183 which was so far 5,979 before my #1677 was made in 34 then in 34 it was 220 however im relying on a book by peter henshaw and ian kerr for my info i mostly trust it however we must keep a open mind until it can be confirmed i also remember reading about 9999 somewhere but cant remember where im still looking as i have quite a few books i wonder if the factory can help i spoke to willie once on the phone years ago he pointed me in the right direction for harley snowmobile parts was a great guy to talk with

Comment

hey there should be 2 more numbers in front of the b9999 on the engine that would be the year are yours missing? can you send a pic (email) i would like to see this i wonder what the factory peashooters used for vins

Comment

I don't think Harley used their customary leading year on the singles made in the late 20s. Just A or B, etc. and the serial number. But I'm no expert in this area ... Perry

Comment

1926-27 Singles did not use the "26" or "27" prefix. In 1928 they started the normal procedure. I have many small Harley projects, engines and parts. I'm pretty sure that at least the engines with serial numbers up to #5000 were made in 1926. They should be installed in an early frame with the special oneyear brake crossover shaft 4075-26. Othervise there is little difference between 1926 and 1927 Singles.
                  1927 Singles had serial numbes exceeding 10.000, so 9999 is just good luck for number freaks. The highest number I have on a set of cases is B15033. The case matching numbers are 16 thousand something. The lowest I have seen was a little bit over 1500
                  I have a C-single from 1931 and its number is 1535. I understand all production models started from 1000. It may be that D- and V series started from a higher number.

Comment

I keep reading that production started at 1000 but in 34 I also read that they only made 220 model c so the highest number should be 1220 (or so) but mine is 1677 which makes me wonder again just how the numbering system works I also read what you said from different sources (dependable ones at that) I also read that the model c production did not cease after 34 but continued only for export (this is NOT been confirmed by any research of mine as of yet) thanks for your imput I would like to stay in touch as I wonder how many singles are left I listed mine on the national flathead registar (online) but am the only single there they are mostly 45's but they let me in (dazed & confused as ever now) mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
                      There came a lot of Singles to our side of the pond. Most are 21" B models 1926-30. The '34 C is quite rare, I have not seen any in Europe, but I'm sure there are some. 1929-31 C:s are quite common in Finland and Sweden. That means maybe 30-50 bikes.
                      Fiskis

Comment

have you ever seen any bikes with s/n after 34? maybe they went to the asian market? anyway I am going to try a title search on mine as it has 45 fenders on it I bought it in 84 from a guy that had it since 49. he claimed that it came with those fenders if I remember right. the tank has a 36 decal on it ,the handlebars were narrowed and the carb is old but not correct. It did run but I have the motor tore down at present (I spend more time making tools than working on it) I do have some luck getting parts over here how is your part situation? anyway i'm not sure how many are left over here now most books I read don't mention singles so information is hard to find mike

Comment

Uhgggg... I was just looking at picture of engine SN 220C - a single. What yr HD would that be? Or maybe it's "G".

C= 1931?

Comment

????????? we are trying to get answers but only get more questions now my brain is hurting

Comment

Mike,
                              As I said, I have not seen a '34 C Single, but according to my 1935 parts book, the '34 C used the 1930-33 D & C (45 & 30.50 cu.in) fenders and front end. There is a picture of the '34 C Single in the Enthusiast 1934 Model presentation issue (fall 1933) available as reprint from many sourches. The fenders are of late JD and early VL design. Rear fender has no skirts like the '34 Twins.
                              Admin
                              I think the SN-engines are racemotors. There is a guy Neale in Australia who knows everything about the S-engines.
                              Serial numbers should only give you headache if they are bogus.
                              Fiskis

Comment

Working...
                              X