What's out there for VL spark plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's out there for VL spark plugs?

What's available for modern replacement spark plugs for a VL? An 18mm plug with a screw on terminal cap to accept the orignal style loop connector wires? Heat range #3......anyone?

I have a 1946 WL and 1941 UH and are using Autolite #386 or #388 plugs, the #388 being hotter. They have screw on terminal tops and are 18mm thread.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Its good to get some help. I figured this would be a no brainer easy type question but guess not. Im surprised more people aren't using their old flatheads.

Comment

NGK changed to worthless resistors in modern times, but a supply of their great A6's are still available from Dixie (dealers only).

Comment

NGK A6,7 and 8 correspond roughly to Harley number 3, 4 and 5 heats respectively. The original 1940-48 Harley plugs can also be found new and used on Ebay or at swap meets.

Comment

plugs

champion d-16

Comment

I am using a UD 16 Champion plug, from the information on the Champion website this is more the traditional plug and the D 16 more an industrial plug. Seems to be working just fine, no problems.

d.

Comment

d-16 industrial plugs?

well i always thought of these ol flattys as tractors ,they just keep goin

Comment

True, I must agree :-)

Comment

I couldn't find the Champion plugs. I did get some of the Autolite 386's from a tractor source though and so far so good. That's to al that have provided feedback!!

Comment

Problem with Autolite 386's is that they're 3/8" taller than the A-6, makes it a tight squeeze to get the cap on.
                      A-6 is hard to find.
                      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I've used a lot of NGK A6 and A7 plugs but now moved on to the Champion D16 which are maybe easier to find and work just as well. The original VL plugs were 1 3/8" across the flats, with the later 1936-48 Globe and Harley plugs 1 1/8", then the modern NGK 1" and the new Champions 7/8". For judged bikes it is always nice to run the bike on modern plugs then find an old pair for display.

Comment

I also have been using the D-16 plugs now for years for my VL's, knuckles, BTF. You can get them sat most NAPA stores as well as Tractor Supply. If they don't have them in stock it only takes a day or two to get them.

Tom ( Rollo) Hardy
                          AMCA # 12766

Comment

Working...
                          X