Starting help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting help please

I am the new owner of a 101 and can't seem to get it started. I'm not new to old HDs but this Indian has my leg ready to fall off.

First, I give it two priming kicks, then fully advance the spark, barely crack the throttle, and nothing. Yes, the gas is fresh and turned on, the plugs are new, the mag has just bee rebuilt, and I have compression & spark. There is indeed gas getting to the carb and I have tried the chokes in various positions.

Any tricks or suggestions? I'm ready to sell this redskin.

Hummm.... did you witness it previously running? Have you checked output of mag? Have you checked cam tooth alignment, distributor timing?

But it's a well know fact that 101s are complete garbage. Low center of gravity, great susspention, relability - HA! all hogwash! I'll give it a good home. Will swap for a 305 Honda. Hee-hee....

Comment

I did see it start and run. It popped off real well.
      I will check your suggestions. Thanks.

Comment

It starts!

Went back to basics again. Put a good charge on the battery and it started right up.

Know of any source for a 6 V gel battery ?

Comment

Wow! It's nice to hear good news. An industrial battery supplier should be able to help you out with a sealed lead/acid. Gels are a different animal from what I understand. My battery guy flips out when I call a sealed a gel.

I wonder what minimum voltage your mag requires. I guess spark fades under compression.

Do you have a battery tender? Steve Blancard 'as always' - did a nice report a few issues back. BS&G.

Comment

Working...
          X