manifold leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manifold leaks

Tom, As susspected the front cycl. 640 sq. base -which had a helicoil insert (short bolt not used accidentally in past- not me). Does leak around the treaded insert into barrel. Cork 1 7/16" with inner tube gasket, football air pump needle inserted through center. rivet nasty leak. All round failure. Rear barrel test good.

So now my manifold/nuts is on it's way to you, and I'm looking for solutions to fix threaded insert. 1. remove barrel and silver solder it? 2. leave barrel on and use some sort of sealant? Figure sealant OK as this is low pressure app. What type?

Original nuts in great shape are being used. Threaded insert ID has not been opened up. stock.

Sorry for the late reply, but the alligators have been snapping at my a...

Geez I dunno. Every one of them is different. But yours sounds like as bad a case of SSD (Sport Scout Disease) as any.

You shall require either a bandaid from gawd, or total removal of the rivet and nipple. Installation of a new one will require some patience and attention to detail, as I consider nipple replacement to be one of the most difficult operations of all vintage motorcycle restoration.

My success rate after much experience is still not 80% on the first try. That's still a "C" , right? Or is that an "A" now.

Please refer back to my VI manifold testing tip for more nipple replacement suggestions.

And then consider how you will seal the draw upon the headbolt hole as well.

Comment

Thanks Thomas, PEEK seals received. Thanks for resurfacing mano to carb.
      WOW! I was shocked when I saw the pre-grease job. Gotta cover your bases I figure. Very smart.

Anti-sieze comp on threads. Bolted it up using large slot driver as a drift w/ dead blow hammer. Did pressure test again, and all looks good!

Much thanks for great service. Looks neat and clean. Should facilitate a smoother on and off in future. Proof is in the road test.

I won't tell you how I sealed up spigot/rivet leak, for fear of being shot.

Comment

Working...
      X