big puddle of oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big puddle of oil

hey guys -- i think i have heard of this, but first time it's happened to me. i have a '47 wl. i primed the bike and fired it up, and about 3 seconds later i heard this "blip, blip" noise and saw a pool of oil spreading under the bike. i shut it off and looked underneath. seemed like the oil blew out of the scavenger pump. (there is supposed to be a vent in the scavenger pump cover, right?) what happened and do i just fill it back up with oil and go? thanks for your help.

it sounds like your bike has been sitting for awhile and some oil from the tank drained into the lower end i had the same problem with my 49 servi car i then replaced both springs and balls in the oil pump and it took care of the troble i hope this helps you joe j.

Comment

actually, i've been riding every week. so that's why i can't figure why it did that

Comment

Big Puddle while sitting

I had this happen as well and have to thank Fatdog for helping diagnose my problem.
        After a long run I parked the bike and the drain began. The check ball was not seating correctly. So as stated earlier, a new set of springs and a new ball, problem solved.
        Seems to be a fairly common problem for these old pumps.

Good Ridin'
        Dave

Comment

thanks guys. that seems to be the consensus opinion. i will look into it.

Comment

Working...
          X